Happy In Bag

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I'm King Geek
















I won. And it’s terribly unsatisfying.

My fantasy league baseball team pulled into first place in the dog days of August. And after a close battle with an anonymous foe, I came out on top when the season ended Sunday.

It’s the first time I’ve won a fantasy competition. And I get nothing for my achievement. I told myself that if I could pull off a victory in 2006 I’d buy into a money league in 2007.

Winning is a major time commitment. The pitching rotation needs to be monitored daily and studying box scores every summer morning is essential. My opening day team was solid, but I had no way of knowing that Carl Crawford, Derek Jeter, Justin Morneau and Amaris Ramirez would have career years. I’ll give myself credit for nabbing new sensations Jonathan Papelbon and Dan Uggla in May. And after another manager tired of Ken Griffey’s first half injuries, I snatched Junior and kept him on the bench for weeks until he recovered in time for a monstrous second half.

Now I know that all the effort just isn't worth it. Unless, of course, I pocket some serious change, which I intend to do next year.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Fresh- True that. I figure that although I won in a 12-team league, only four guys were actually making a serious effort. And as I wrote here in April, The Royals really could use me.

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    I meant here.

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Blogger FletcherDodge said…

    HIB,

    I moved into second place in my division in my Fantasy FB league.

    I started Larry Johnson and the Chiefs defense, so thanks the the Chiefs' monster win Sunday, I trounced my competition.

    Something tells me I won't be able to count on that kind of performance every weekend.

     
  • At 6:05 PM, Blogger Xavier Onassis said…

    Is there a Fantasy League for Strip Club Owners?

    That would be more up my alley (no homo).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home