Happy In Bag

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Ghosts Are Real


















I believe in ghosts. I just can’t tell you if they exist outside the imagination of living humans. Does it really matter? The demons in my head are plenty real.

I don’t often get spooked, but in March I spent a haunted night in an abandoned dormitory. Until a few years ago, the Kansas institution was home to about a hundred elderly men. The old building’s lights flickered and the rusty water that dripped from the sink looked toxic. Most unsettling were the dozens of doors, each partially ajar, down each forgotten hallway. (The view outside my door is pictured here.) All night I listened to creaks, bumps and rustling, knowing that no one else was in the building.

It’s the uncertainty, the fear of the unknown, that really scares us. We're relieved when the big "Boo!" we're all anxiously anticipating finally reveals itself.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:22 AM, Blogger Pensive Girl said…

    what were you doing there? and why?
    :)

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Jessi- It's a government institution in a remote area. Alas, I can say no more here.

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Blogger FletcherDodge said…

    Did you get to keep ol' man Johnson's treasure for staying the night in a haunted dorm? I bet Scooby and The Gang discovered that the ghost was really creepy Filbert Farnsworth trying to scare off anyone who came looking for the treasure so he could keep it for himself.

    And he would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids.

     
  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    I "am" Ol' Man Johnson, Emaw. Gee whiz, I thought you knew that.

     
  • At 6:18 PM, Blogger Xavier Onassis said…

    I don't believe in ghosts. Or an afterlife. Or souls.

    I need proof. Hard, verifiable, scientific proof.

     
  • At 12:06 AM, Blogger FletcherDodge said…

    XO,

    I agree with your belief that you don't have a soul.

     
  • At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ever October for about four years now I have watched a series of scary movies, based on some theme. Last year's was werewolf movies, and you've just confirmed this year's theme: haunted house movies.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home