Happy In Bag

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Primordial Prairie Village










I took a two-and-a-half hour vacation Tuesday evening.

It began when I stepped into my backyard to polish off the newspaper. As I’d worked up a healthy sweat in the kitchen, I didn’t mind the bright, muggy conditions.

But I didn’t get up after reading about tragedy in Indonesia, the woes of the Royals and the antics of Bucky Katt in Get Fuzzy. I just sat.

I saw that the sky was slowing graying. I hadn’t checked in with the apocalyptic soothsaying of Katie Horner, my favorite weatherperson. I didn’t know if a storm was expected. So I sat and watched. And with no electronic devices or further reading material to distract me, I sat some more. I didn’t pull weeds or pick up debris. It was just me, the rabbits, the birds and the mosquitos.

Occasional rolling thunder interrupted the hum of children playing, street traffic, and the chatter of birds and dogs. A light mist didn’t keep me from discovering that the woodpecker feeder I’d written off as ineffective was actually attracting four or five skittish downys. I realized that I could eat well for a week if I harvested the monstrous hares in my yard.

Aside from stirring a simmering pot in the kitchen once or twice and taking the attached picture, nothing distracted me from my zen-like trance. The sun reemerged a couple times but was ultimately replaced by quick streaks of lightning. When steady rain finally arrived it felt like a baptism.

I didn’t move until I was drenched, alone in the darkness.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger Roldy said…

    I love the storms here (as long as they don't kill people).

    The most common kind of weather in England can only be described as drizzle.

     
  • At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yay!

    I had taken off early from work {3PM} and went home to work on my retaining wall. After a bit of that I decided to get the loppers out and severly disable this oak child that is growing too close to the house and my proposed garden. I decided I hadn't sweat quite enough and went for a short bike ride while the dark grey clouds piled up.

    My post-shower relaxation coincided nicely with the increasing cloud cover and eventual storm. Very nice.

    Roldy speaks the truth.

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This sounds very emo.

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Did he say that he cried, or thought about eating and then thought better of it? No.

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Emo? How I long to be a scrawny twerp. Alas, I'm just, um, "sensitive."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home